[asterisk-users] HElP me I am a beginner

Myles Wakeham myles at techsol.org
Wed Jun 2 10:11:48 CDT 2010

Prashant wrote:

 >> I am completely new to the asterisk so can any one help me with it
 >> as I have some questions queries
 >>
 >> 1. first n for most what are the tools/equipment that I need
 >>  for eg a Computer, and a net connection is it all that I need for
 >> simple head start to get hands on the asterisk

Hi Prashant,

When I started working with Asterisk, I was impressed with the wealth of
information out there on this area, but also overwhelmed by the amount
of it and probably spent 50% of my time trying to reconcile one piece of
information I found that was 5 yrs old with another piece of information
I found that was 2 yrs old.  The sheer amount of information that you
will find means that you won't be caught out with no answers.  But
trying to make sense of which answer is the best fit for you is the
challenge.

As the other posters have rightly stated, getting a comprehensive single
book as a starting point is the best place.  The author would have
collected and documented their information in one set that all works
together.

Although the general community favor 'Asterisk: The future of telephony'
which is an excellent book, there are multiple editions of it so you
want to make sure you get the latest one.

I found this book to be my 'savior' when learning Asterisk:

"Practical Asterisk 1.4 & 1.6: From Beginner to Expert" by Stefan
Wintermeyer

The reason why this has become my #1 favorite is simply that it
explained a lot of telephony concepts as they apply to Asterisk - often
these are assumed with setting up a VoIP solution.

I think the book can be found here:

http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780321670632

There is an online version and a print version you can order.  I
understand that spending money on this sort of thing in some economies
is a major expense, however the time saving you will get trying to learn
this product is far worth the investment in the book.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Myles

--
Myles Wakeham