[asterisk-users] agi macro problem

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Fri Jul 30 10:15:27 CDT 2010

[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Steve Edwards
>Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] agi macro problem

>You are confusing a language with a protocol. An AGI is a program that
>complies with the AGI protocol. It can be written in any language that
>reads from stdin and writes to stdout. I don't know of any language that
>fails this requirement.

>Ruby is not a popular language for writing AGIs, at least on this list.
>Most AGI compliant programs are written in Perl, PHP, c, or shell.

I'm sure this is "not a good practice", but I actually use the .agi suffix
on my AGI's or AGI launch stubs to "keep it straight" that even though the
actual program is bash or PERL, that the function of the program is to
generally be launched by the Asterisk AGI.  That way, if the program gets
moved from /var/lib/asterisk/agi-bin, I know it's not just a run-of-the-mill
bash or Perl script.  Since the #! Line tells you what it actually is, it is
(IMO) a "no harm" proposition.