[asterisk-users] Asterisk and QoS

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 30 08:36:06 CDT 2010

HTB is a bad choice for VoIP.  When it "borrows" bandwidth, according to
the docs it doesnt release it back until its finished so if its using
all the bandwidth for a download before the VoIP call starts, VoIP gets
starved even if you reserve an excess of bandwidth as it still queues.
When I tried it sort of worked but didnt have the effect I expected on a
busy link, probably for this reason.

HTB tries to be fair about sending packets but with VoIP being fair
sucks :)  A better way is to use a "prio" filter at the root, the
priority 1 branch having a plain fifo on it - send VoIP and acks only
this way.

The priority 2 branch has a HTB hierarchy with sfq leaves for the rest
of the traffic.

This seems to work much better, but I have not tested well yet.  I am
also using a police filter for incoming (on ADSL) and have not noticed
any problems - but it is only lightly limiting (to try and keep the
queues at the ISP end short.)

Lastly, test to make sure the packets are flowing where you expect them
to - I had to correct a few miss-understandings I had on how it all
worked before everything went where I wanted it to :)

TC and TCNG do seem dead, but I think thats partly because its
relatively mature and doesnt need much work.

BillK

On Fri, 2010-07-30 at 10:06 +0200, Jonas Kellens wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> anyone here using Asterisk together with HTB for queing incoming and
> outgoing packets ?
>
> I've tried to subscribe myself to the Mailinglist of the Linux
> Advanced Routing & Traffic Control project, but I get no confirmation.
> This list seems dead.
>
> It seems my test case with HTB is not giving any noticeable results.
> Can I ask questions on this mailinglist ?
>
> Perhaps you can give my other QoS-implementations like MasterShaper,
> if it works well together with a firewall that uses iptables.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Jonas.
> --

Home in Perth!