[asterisk-users] IAX authentication oddity - Known issue? Fixed?

Tilghman Lesher tlesher at digium.com
Wed Jul 28 11:32:55 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 28 July 2010 06:49:01 Steve Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had the following odd behaviour in Asterisk 1.2 - We are migrating
> to 1.6, and I will re-test ASAP, though it is quite hard to replicate,
> but I am curious to know whether it is a known IAX issue in 1.2.
>
> We had 2 users in iax.conf:
>
> [user1]
> username=user1
> secret=secret1
> context=context1
> host=iax.hostname.com
>
> [user2]
> username=user2
> secret=
> context=context2
> host=dynamic
> deny=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> allow=1.2.3.0/255.255.255.0
>

> A call came in with username=user2, the call was from the valid IP
> range specified in [user2], and the IAX debug trace showed the call as
> UNAUTHENTICATED. So far so good.
>
> The issue is that once the call was "in", the channel-name was
> allocated as IAX/user1-xxx (instead of IAX/user2-xxx) and the call
> jumped to context1 instead of context2.
>
> I believe that the source IP address for the call DOES fall into the
> list of IP addresses that resolve using iax.hostname.com.

I don't see a 'type' argument to either of the above, so neither of these
would at all be used.  That said, you're assuming that the deny and allow
determine who is allowed to be user2.  That's incorrect.  They permit what
packets will even reach user2, and a registration needs to occur for the host
address to become something other than 0.0.0.0 (which is the default, unless
you have a defaultip parameter).  Hence, user2 won't match anything at all
until a registration packet comes in that passes your deny/allow ACL.

--
Tilghman Lesher