[asterisk-users] Using Vertical IP2007 phones with Asterisk?

Mon Jul 26 01:56:02 CDT 2010

From: John Novack [mailto:jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org]
Sent: Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:31 PM
To: Asterisk Users Mailing List - Non-Commercial Discussion
Cc: Kevin Keane
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Using Vertical IP2007 phones with Asterisk?

Kevin Keane wrote:
I recently inherited a Vertical Xcelerator IP system with IP2007 phones. I would like to use the phones with an Asterisk system instead, but there doesn't seem to be much information on it on Google. Is it even possible? These phones claim that they are SIP phones.

Thanks!

Kevin

Good luck getting much help from Vertical.
For those who don't know, Vertical seems to have bought all the semi-crappy business phone system companies in recent years, Comdial, Vodavi (who was previously merged with Isoetec and Executone ) and perhaps others.
The only decent product in the mix was the Keyvoice voice mail line.
Previous dealers seem to have been shut out of support, and there is little available without being a Vertical dealer. Seems they may be using the Cisco model.
Either try and sign up with Vertical, or put the system on eBay and cut your losses

John Novack

I have done some more research and found that it is indeed possible to use these phones with Asterisk - at least, they register (I haven't fully tested everything yet). I have tried it with Firmware version 3.2.32 - G729. Firmware updates unfortunately are only available through Vertical dealers.

In case somebody else uses Google to find it, here is what I found out.

The phones, as far as I can tell, do not support DHCP option 66. It does support a configuration file on a TFTP server, but it will only load the configuration file when you tell it to do so in the Web interface. It might be possible to automate that with a wget script. To create the configuration file, it is best to start by manually configuring one phone with a Web browser. After a factory reset, the user name/password are admin/1234.

The connection to Asterisk is configured in the SIP tab. The Asterisk server goes into the Registrar Server and Registrar Outbound Server fields. It MUST be an IP address; the phone does not accept a DNS name here. Phone Number and Authorized ID should be the extension. The Phone number will be displayed on the phone's screen. The User name will also be displayed; you can type what you want here, but be aware that you cannot use a space! The secret (Authorized Password) also accepts only certain characters; it is best to stick to just alphanumeric and avoid punctuation altogether.

Once you are done, you can save the configuration to a file. In the SW Upgrade tab, click on Download Settings. Move the downloaded file to your TFTP server and rename it IP2007.cfg . Edit as appropriate for the next phone. It is a text file. Be sure to adhere to the same restrictions as the Web interface. Otherwise, the file will not load, and there is no indication what is wrong.

Then log on to the next phone's Web interface. Go to the SW Upgrade page. Change the IP address of the TFTP server (no DNS names accepted). Click on Save (otherwise, the phone will use the previous setting for the TFTP server!). Make sure the file name under Profile is correct, and click on the Update button next to it.

I hope this helps the next person trying these phones!