[asterisk-users] Skype for Asterisk, Skype For SIP

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Sun Jul 18 07:57:27 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 7:48 AM, Vieri <rentorbuy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to integrate Skype and Asterisk but I'm only interested in these 2 things:
>
> 1) allow any Asterisk SIP extension to call any Skype "user". I do not need to call landlines via Skype.

I think this is _explicitly_ not supported in the Skype for SIP docs.

> 2) allow Internet Skype "users" to call my Asterisk PBX Skype "user" and route the call to a specific Asterisk SIP extension.

Here is how it goes from my experience with Skype: each SIP channel
will cost you about $5 a month, regardless if you have a landline
number with them or not. Your account will be assigned a special Skype
number 99xxxxxxxxxxxxx . With that number a Skype user can call you
and it will be free. You _cannot_ call Skype users from your PBX, as I
stated above, this is an explicit no-no in the docs. If you want to
make calls from your PBX to landlines you have to buy Skype credit
just like you would with a regular skype client. If you want
land-lines to call your PBX you need to purchase a skype number which
about $60 a year.

> At first, I thought it would be simple and free. However, correct me if I'm wrong but the Skype "user" I can use within the Asterisk PBX cannot be the "standard type" (used by eg. desktop Skype applications) but needs to be created by the Skype User Manager for Business Solutions. I believe this has a price although Skype For SIP Open Beta seems to be free until Q4 2010.

I think you can associate existing skype users to your Business
Solutions manager but I still don't understand exactly how or why this
is useful, and I don't think it has to do with you being able to call
any of them from your PBX. Then again I haven't paid much attention to
that and perhaps you have more insight into this.

> Has anyone found a way to make "pure Internet user-to-user" Skype/SIP calls via Asterisk (no PSTN involved) for free?

As I said above, once you have purchased your SIP channel you can make
free calls to your PBX using the special number but it's only INBOUND
AFAIK.

Best,
Alejandro Imass