[asterisk-users] MAC Address prefixes of Voip equipment

Dave Platt dplatt at radagast.org
Mon Jul 12 12:44:25 CDT 2010

> Is there a database of MAC address prefixes used the common VoIP
> devices. I see the Linksys Sipura devices state with 00:0E.
>
> Does the same apply to other Linksys VoIP equipment?

The Ethernet prefixes ("OUIs") are three octets long.

Linksys / Cisco has been assigned a number of OUIs,
one of which is 00-0E-08.  You can download the current list
of OUIs from the following URL:

  http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

I don't know whether Linksys/Cisco uses this particular OUI
only for VoIP devices, or for a whole range of device types...
I suspect the latter.

> Is there some way VoIP equipment allow themselves to be identified by
> requesting data from some ports?

If you have a SIP dialog going with the equipment, you may find
that it sends either "Server:" or "User-Agent:" headers with
some amount of useful information.