[asterisk-users] Asterisk for transcoding

Kyle Kienapfel doctor.whom at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 15:52:19 CDT 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 4:32 AM, amit salunkhe <amitsalunkhe21 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear ALl
>
> Can we use Asterisk for only for transcoding?. if yes how many concurent
> call we can transcode with help of Astetrisk?
trans-coding is one of the bigger CPU hogs, amount of calls depends on
CPU and what codecs are involved. Are you using software or
specialized hardware like the PCI card Digium sells for transcoding
many G.729 calls?

If asterisk is only transcoding how are you determining that a call
needs to get transcoded? The complexity of call paths will determine
the difficulty of this.

> For this we only need to config SIP.conf or any other file too.
Some of the codecs have configuration files, your question isn't full of details
You might also need to define some extensions in extensions.conf or ael