[asterisk-users] Questions about asterisk and spa2102

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Jan 29 21:13:03 CST 2010

Kosa wrote:
> Hi there! First mail on the list :)
>
> 1.- is it possible to use an spa2102 to make and revice calls from a "normal" phone? I mean, I know I can use it to connect an analog to an asterisk server, but I want to know if it can be used to connect asterisk to the analog phoneline.

In simple terms:

FXS ports provide battery to analog phones, provide ringing to analog
phones when so instructed, and provide dialtone to analog phones, then
forward the dialed number as data to a server.
FXO  ports expect to see battery from analog exchange lines, supply a
loop closure to request service from an exchange, in some cases will
pulse dial a string of digits, in all cases send a string of DTMF
digits, and detect a ringing voltage from an exchange, forwarding
received information as data to a server.

Some devices have both types of connections.

If you want an external device to do both, it will need both types of
ports, one cannot be both.
> 2.-  I'm trying to unlock the spa2102 with no succes at the moment, any
> links or hint will be very appreciated.

Why waste your ( valuable? ) time??
New unlocked similar devices are available from multiple sources.
Many of these are born locked to a specific service, and cannot be changed.

--
Dog is my co-pilot