[asterisk-users] fax over IP - http/ftp-provisioning - intercom

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Sat Jan 23 20:19:13 CST 2010

On 01/23/2010 09:11 AM, jonas kellens wrote:

> Dear members of the list,
>
> a customer of mine has some questions and I would like to pose some of
> them further to you guys.
>
> What is the situation with Asterisk and fax over IP ? Can Asterisk
> receive a fax over a POTS or ISDN line ?? Do I then need a Digium
> TDM-card and an FXO-module or a T38-gateway ?

Despite what anyone may say about Fax over IP allegedly works for them,
save yourself the trouble and make sure you take the POTS and ISDN
approach.

> What phones should I use to automatically configure them from a central
> place via HTTP or FTP ? I know Polycom-phones offer this option.

Most major phone vendors offer provisioning of this nature.

> How can I implement intercom functionality ? Which phones have
> auto-answer ? And how do I implement this in the Asterisk dialplan ??

Polycom supports this, and I am quite sure Snom does too.  Perhaps some
others.

As far as how to implement it, that is manufacturer-specific.  Look on
voip-info.org for "Polycom" and "paging" if you want the Polycom-centric
answer.  For other phones, it will be different.

--
Alex Balashov - Principal
Evariste Systems LLC

Tel    : +1 678-954-0670