[asterisk-users] Virtual Asterisk Installation

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu Jan 21 13:26:25 CST 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 17:06 -0800, Jim Dickenson wrote:
> My development system for asterisk is a virtual CentOS 5.4 world running under Fusion on my MacBook. I am usually only doing a few calls at a time. I have an IAX trunk to our office Asterisk PBX so I can access the PRI line there. I do meetme rooms and recording of calls and all seems to work well.
>
> I have even used a Xorcom Astribank on my virtual world for testing.
>
> Virtual worlds do have a place even in the Asterisk world.
>
> For a very small office like the OP was talking about things will likely work.
>
> I do agree that as the system he is thinking of using is a low use system adding asterisk to it in its current state will likely be a good solution.

I'm the first to agree that a small via/soekris/fit2-box is more then
enough for running asterisk (perhaps even with your firewall and
mailserver)

otoh I have 1.2, 1.4, 1.6.0, 1.6.1 and since lastweek also 1.6.2
versions running happily in a XEN dom-u. Works without a problem...

Only snag is that is rather hard to use fxo/fxs/pri cards in them, and
one needs a rather powerfull server for it.

As the O.P. said it's a small company, i would opt for a "tiny box",
capable of running 24/7. Easier to maintain, cheaper to run (power)

hw