[asterisk-users] Virtual Asterisk Installation

randall randall at songshu.org
Thu Jan 21 00:46:03 CST 2010

On 01/20/2010 11:28 PM, Felix Tiefenthaler wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I've been reading this list for a few weeks and now this is my first
> post. :-)
>
> I'm planning to build a new VoIP telephone system at our company. It's
> just a small company with not more than 3-4 employees.
> The telephone system is not so important for us because each employee
> has it's own mobile phone.
>
> Because our company is a small one, we don't want to/we can't buy an
> expensive phone system. So we are going to use Asterisk.
> Additionally we don't want to obtain extra hardware. We have already a
> Server running with Linux (for Network monitoring).
> Because it's a waste to use this Server just for monitoring I thought
> about virtualizing. Now I want to run a machine with monitoring
> and a machine with Asterisk on this Server. I already bought a ISDN
> Card (berofix 400) with a S0 module.
>
> Now my big question: What kind of virtualization should I run on the
> Server? I have already used VMware ESXi and Proxmox.
> It would be very nice if there was a way to make snapshots (for
> "backup" purposes).
> I read about clock problems (physical time != virtual time) and so on.
> If I'm right this does not matter when using OpenVZ but when using
> KVM, XEN, ESX, ...
>
> Please tell me your opinion. I definitely want to run the Asterisk via
> virtualization - so we have to find a solution for this ;-)
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> felix

i never tried it for real, but i'm in the progress of setting up a PBX
system and decided to go with a dedicated box since i need more pci
slots then my regular virtualised box could provide.

However, i have heard that many have succesfully used asterisk on a
VServer, which i usually use when installing new services.

have some old notes in the link below and the testing setup worked fine.
VServer is more an advanced chroot so i don't think you will have the
problems some mentioned when going for the heavier virtualisation types
like Xen.
just make sure the card is reachable inside the guest

http://doku.songshu.org/doku.php?id=debian_lenny_asterisk