[asterisk-users] Virtual Asterisk Installation

Warren Selby wcselby at selbytech.com
Wed Jan 20 20:44:21 CST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Felix Tiefenthaler <
tiefenthaler.f at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now my big question: What kind of virtualization should I run on the
> Server? I have already used VMware ESXi and Proxmox.
> It would be very nice if there was a way to make snapshots (for
> "backup" purposes).

If you are dead set on virtualization, you can use Xen and a paravirtualized
Linux install (either CentOS or Debian).  In your Xen setup, you can assign
the TDM card to your Asterisk virtual machine, and you can either draw your
timing from that, or you can use the internal timing mechanisms of asterisk
1.6.1 or later (res_timing_pthread or res_timing_timerfd).  Additionally,
you can easily obtain Xen-ified kernel headers which will allow you to
compile DAHDI on your virtual machine.  For a good resource, check out
Saghul's Xenified Asterisk presentation from Astricon 2009. (
http://www.astricon.net/2009/astricon/presentation/irontec/index.htm)

However, if you've got nothing else running on that linux box except the
network monitoring, it's rather easy to setup asterisk to run alongside the
the netmon software.  This will eliminate alot of potential headaches you
may run into down the line, as well as allow you to follow several of the
simple how-to guides out there.

--
Thanks,
--Warren Selby