[asterisk-users] Virtual Asterisk Installation

Felix Tiefenthaler tiefenthaler.f at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 16:28:41 CST 2010

Hi all!

I've been reading this list for a few weeks and now this is my first
post. :-)

I'm planning to build a new VoIP telephone system at our company. It's
just a small company with not more than 3-4 employees.
The telephone system is not so important for us because each employee
has it's own mobile phone.

Because our company is a small one, we don't want to/we can't buy an
expensive phone system. So we are going to use Asterisk.
Additionally we don't want to obtain extra hardware. We have already a
Server running with Linux (for Network monitoring).
Because it's a waste to use this Server just for monitoring I thought
about virtualizing. Now I want to run a machine with monitoring
and a machine with Asterisk on this Server. I already bought a ISDN
Card (berofix 400) with a S0 module.

Now my big question: What kind of virtualization should I run on the
Server? I have already used VMware ESXi and Proxmox.
It would be very nice if there was a way to make snapshots (for
"backup" purposes).
I read about clock problems (physical time != virtual time) and so on.
If I'm right this does not matter when using OpenVZ but when using
KVM, XEN, ESX, ...

Please tell me your opinion. I definitely want to run the Asterisk via
virtualization - so we have to find a solution for this ;-)

Thank you very much!

felix