[asterisk-users] queue groups in asterisk 1.4

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Wed Jan 20 16:13:09 CST 2010

This email is not a question, but a potential solution to any who have
had the same issue I have faced.

If you have agents logged in to multiple queues at the same time,
Asterisk does not handle the answering of those queues in any set order
or sequence.  It has no way of prioritizing calls in between the shared
queues, to guarantee that the queue with the call that has the longest
hold time will be answered next.

If Asterisk is configured with several queues and all queues have calls
waiting, when an Agent becomes available, Asterisk randomly picks the
queue that will be answered next. This can be a problem adversely
affecting service levels since the queue with the call having the
longest hold time may be essentially ignored for several cycles of
available agents.

To fix this issue, we had a custom patch written for the 1.4 branch.
Digium has decided to not include it in the 1.6 branch, so I am making
the 1.4 patch available for any who want or need it.  It works well on
1.4.19.1, but I have not tried it on anything after that (I am currently
running 1.6 and have the issue back again).

Questions are always welcome, though I may or may not have the answers,
as I am not the coder, just the asterisk admin.

As always, if you need it/ want it in your production systems, it would
be good to send an email to Digium letting them know that.

-Steve

Patch at:  http://mirrors.bluehost.com/asterisk