[asterisk-users] receive text

Steve Murphy murf at parsetree.com
Sun Jan 17 17:01:39 CST 2010

On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 7:34 AM, Thomas Perron <thomas.perron at gmail.com>wrote:

> Is there any code that I can cut/paste that will allow me to receive
> an SMS text on Asterisk?
> and, where can I capture the incoming text?

See chan_mobile in the asterisk-addons... For certain cell phones there is a
facility there to pass an SMS on thru the phone to Asterisk.

You do it all via dialplan apps....

in chan_mobile.c, you'll see apps MobileSendSMS(device,dest,message), which
allows you to send an
SMS message via the dialplan, thru the bluetooth attached phone.

To get an SMS, you have to have a cellphone bluetooth attached, and capable
of passing sms messages.
When it reports to Asterisk via the bluetooth connection, that an SMS
message was recieved, Asterisk
will try to run the "sms" extension, with the channel variables SMSSRC and
SMSTXT channel variables
set to the appropriate values. In the dialplans you can turn this into an
email, an announcement, a text-to-speech
(via festival or Cepstral or whatever), or whatever your needs or
imagination can supply.

I've asked around a while back, and the only phone capable of such sms
capabilities was one running the
Symbian os, iirc, and that means Nokia, I guess, and Erickson, and a few
others... according to the Wikipedia,
it's a pretty popular smart phone OS. Hmmm, wonder if the google Android can
handle this?

Anyway, another non-hardware solution might be to use an internet SMS
gateway (for 10 cents/msg in low volume),
to send/receive SMS also...

murf

> --

Steve Murphy