[asterisk-users] 10/100 voip phones and gigabit connection

Andrew Hakman andrew.hakman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:10:14 CST 2010

Windows, yes, but used to be through 3rd party software. Doubt this
has changed as Windows has no focus on any useful network anything.

Linux, yes, and it's definitely not complicated. Probably take 2
minutes to setup if you already had bridge utils installed, maybe 5 if
you had to install the package first.

Regardless, I would say this wouldn't be the best solution for the
reasons someone already mentioned - you form some dependency between
the phone and the PC.

2 cables is definitely the best, followed by a cheap gig switch at each desk.

Also, someone was mentioning if you could run 2 ethernet connections
through one cable. This works with 10/100 (as only 2 pairs are used,
so you can wire 2 pairs to one jack, and the other 2 pairs in the cat5
to the other jack), but doesn't work with gigabit, as it uses all 4
pairs. Even if you just consider 10/100, this is a nifty hack in a
pinch, but I seriously doubt anyone does this in a professional
install. Cable isn't all that expensive when it comes right down to
it.

Andrew