[asterisk-users] Weird Polycom SP 650

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Sun Jan 10 17:17:57 CST 2010

Bon journo Aldo.

> I am having several issues with my first SP 650.
>   	* Assembly: 	2345-12600-001 Rev.G

I have deployed more than 200 IP650 with the same assembly as yours and
so far there are no problems.

> The first thing I have noticed is that I was not able to upgrade the
> unit's firmware with the one currently available in the support area
> for this phone. The TFTP setup I used had worked for the upgrade of
> some additional SP's (SP 320/330); besides the fw files, that I got
> twice, even if I am not sure that this is necessary.

I am using bootROM 4.2 and SIP 3.1.2
You may have a problem with the boot server or its permissions (just a
guess).  You have to go through your boot server and find out why.  No
easy way unfortunately.

> The second strange occurrence is the inability to change the unit's
> display language (to Italian settings).

I just tried changing my phone to Italiano and was successful.
The language files are in the SIP software and so maybe because you
cannot upgrade your SIP release, that is why you cannot switch to
Italiano.

> I was however able to activate the BLF function (through a
> customisation found online for the sip.cfg config file), joined with
> the activation of the 'Presence' setting for some custom created
> entries of the Directory of the phone.

Well done.  BLF is not that straightforward for Polycom phones.  Some
workaround is required.

> Needless to say that the other SP 330 have no similar issue, with
> 'copy cat' settings in the sip.conf file.

The config of 650 is very similar to those of 330.  By right, if it
works for 330, it should also work for 650.

Hope this helps!