[asterisk-users] Weird Polycom SP 650

Aldo Bergamini aaberga at nb-a.com
Sun Jan 10 17:00:56 CST 2010

Hi,

I am seeking help with the installation of a Soundpoint 650 desk phone.

Although I have some experience (and a good one! no single issue so
far, besides the problem I am trying to solve...) installing a few SP
320/330 units, I am having several issues with my first SP 650.

  Polycom SP 650 Data:

   	• P/N:		3150-11530-212
  	• SD Sound
  	• FW:		2.1.2.0078
  	• Assembly: 	2345-12600-001 Rev.G

The first thing I have noticed is that I was not able to upgrade the
unit's firmware with the one currently available in the support area
for this phone. The TFTP setup I used had worked for the upgrade of
some additional SP's (SP 320/330); besides the fw files, that I got
twice, even if I am not sure that this is necessary.

The second strange occurrence is the inability to change the unit's
display language (to Italian settings).

I was however able to activate the BLF function (through a
customisation found online for the sip.cfg config file), joined with
the activation of the 'Presence' setting for some custom created
entries of the Directory of the phone.

Furthermore, once installed at my customer's site I had to fiddle with
problems related to DTMF tones. The customer reported that she could
not link to voicemail, to get messages. And as a matter of fact when I
checked there was no way to dial the password into Asterisk, until I
changed the SIP settings for this extension to 'Inband'.

Needless to say that the other SP 330 have no similar issue, with
'copy cat' settings in the sip.conf file.

What is however a complete disaster is what happens when the user is
talking on a call, and for any reason, a second calls is presented to
the unit by the Asterisk 1.6 server.

The user has its headset speaker muted (and therefore thinks that the
call was lost/ended abruptly), yet the party at the other end of the
call is still alive and well (aka connected) and has no idea we my
user starts blabbering about problems to the call.

Does anybody have similar experiences with the 650? There is very
little I did differently on this unit than on the other SP 330s that
are running without a problem, on the same Asterisk setup..

Any additional questions are more than welcome!

  Kind regards
  Aldo