[asterisk-users] No reply to SIP OPTIONS - sip peers becoming randomly UNREACHABLE

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Thu Jan 7 07:08:09 CST 2010

7 jan 2010 kl. 10.21 skrev Aggio Alberto:

> Hi,
> I have occasionally experienced the same problem too, and I suspect it was caused by some spikes in network traffic (e.g. for an intensive file transfer) that delayed too much SIP OPTION response, so that Asterisk marked these devices as UNREACHABLE; I was able to use the devices too: in fact, the only drawback is that other devices are not able to call the UNREACHABLE devices using Asterisk. The only solution I found was to disable 'qualify' field in SIP account, in order to put these devices in unmonitored state. Maybe it's not your problem, but you can monitor the network with a sniffer (e.g. ethereal), in conjunction with SIP debug in Asterisk (sip set debug) in order to check the correct arrival of OPTION response.
> Noevertheless, I'm wondering if there is another cause to this issue that is not depending on network, but on Asterisk itself, so let me know.

The interesting thing to check here is if you can place a call TO the phone while it's marked as UNREACHABLE. Unreachable means that asterisk has sent an OPTIONs message 7 times without getting a reply at all. If it's LAGGED, we've got a reply, but far too late. If we can't get multiple OPTIONs through, how can we get an INVITE through?

/O