[asterisk-users] SIP Listen Multiple Ports

Vikram Ragukumar vragukumar at signalogic.com
Mon Jan 4 16:05:06 CST 2010

Hello,

> On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Steve Edwards wrote:
>
>>> You can configure OpenSER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS to listen to multiple
>>> addresses and ports and "forward" to Asterisk on the same or different
>>> boxes.
>>>
>>> I like to configure systems with OpenSER running on each box,
>>> forwarding calls to Asterisk across the same set of boxes for
>>> redundancy, load balancing, and maintenance (being able to take an
>>> instance of Asterisk or an entire box out of production).
>
> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Vikram Ragukumar wrote:
>
>> Would it be more efficient to use libnetfilter_queue() to listen to
>> specific addresses / ports and forward to Asterisk?
>
> Yes, but the number of SIP control messages are usually insignificant
> compared to all the RTP packets.
>
>> If so, what would I be losing in not letting OpenSER do it?
>
> All the goodness that OpenSER brings to the table. I just "scratched the
> surface" above with all the features of OpenSER/Kamailio/OpenSIPS.

My customer is keen on using a hardware bridge to maximize throughput
and also allow multiple servers.  My boss is pressing me to maintain
Kamailio and rtpproxy compatibility, and understand the tradeoffs in
satisfying both.  The link below has a diagram showing the way I'm going
now:

http://signalogic.com/images/openser_asterisk_sysconfig_dataflow.jpg

Will the bridge preclude me from gracefully modifying my code to use
more Kamailio functionality, if needed?

Thanks and Regards,
Vikram.