[asterisk-users] Really Silly Question From Total Newbie

Allann Jones allanjos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 22:06:01 CST 2010

> I think that's very wise advice.  To offer a commercial perspective, our
> customers willing to pay for sophisticated
> smart phone apps (currently gov/mil agencies and some mid-size telecoms)
> have very specific needs and care about reliable operation, development
> duration, long-term support -- all the things you would expect in a normal
> project.

Those aren't going to happen on a jailbreak system.  For example they're
> willing to use Droid and not iPhone if the
> job can get done.

Firstly... Linux rules! :) ... and Asterisk too (and the latter is the
"on-topic", we must remain this...).

The jailbreak system gives you the chance to transfer a native iPhone
application to the phone without the need to register to be a Apple
developer and put the application on Apple Store to, and in the following,
put on the phone to finally execute it without programming so long on a
emulator.

Droid (Linux) is great too. And it is better because it is open source, and
Asterisk too! :)

But these devices already exists in use on the world, like many other
devices. What can be done with it? Put it on the trash and build many others
without reusing nothing? Another technological trash?

And for many people that will get only a smartphone or some another hardware
in a life for many reasons, and $$$ is the major factor. Some people will
never get one (maybe they will find happiness).

Droid generally runs on ARM, like iPhone, like many others.

A perfect hardware (that doesn't exist) runs buggy applications. A perfect
operating system (that doesn't exist too) runs buggy applications too. A
perfect developer (that doesn't exist too) can develop buggy applications
too (a paradox here!) because there are many perspectives in a infinite set
of perspectives that is not considered during a lifetime.

There are many purposes in the world, not only critical, commercial or
military purposes.

Will you put on trash a old router that is capable of run Linux or FreeBSD,
and buy a newer, ... or will you try to use it and learn something
(distributed processing)? It is the same for WinModems that, maybe, exists
in a greater number than smartphones in the world :)

But I know... Linux rules! :) and we see it growing (fast and faster and
faster!).. and Asterisk too.

On telefony you can get a bug too, like a timeout when programming a
operation to be executed during some ms, but for some reason the operating
system doesn't respond because it's executing another thread, or a
electrical failure, or the hardware simply doesn't respond in correct time
(a insect running on it?). All developer spend some hours on headache
engineering.

iPhone runs Objective-C, like GNUStep, NextStep, and the beatiful and
incredible WindowMaker :) that is supported by GNU GCC. so it has a good
environment to reuse to learn about a programming language, about software
engineering, about telefony, or about etc... (like many other devices) ...
to finally... in some day... develop a critical application (if really
capable) or create a better (or not) platform (reusing something (a idea, a
soft or hard)?).

There are many people that had and have fun on something like:

- http://palm-linux.sourceforge.net
- http://penguinppc.org
- http://www.arm.linux.org.uk
- http://linux-sh.org
- http://linuxoniphone.blogspot.com
- http://cydia.saurik.com
- http://www.kernel.org ;)
- http://www.asterisk.org :)

... between many others... and the list will always grows in anyway making
the technological world more interesting and the ozone decreases, and the
world clearer, etc, etc and etc ;)

Regards, apologies and thank you.

--
Allann J.

"I received the fundamentals of my education in school, but that was not
enough. My real education, the superstructure, the details, the true
architecture, I got out of the public library. For an impoverished child
whose family could not afford to buy books, the library was the open door to
wonder and achievement, and I can never be sufficiently grateful that I had
the wit to charge through that door and make the most of it." (from I.
Asimov, 1994)