[asterisk-users] SIP Listen Multiple Ports

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Jan 4 14:35:50 CST 2010

Un-top-posting...

On Mon, 4 Jan 2010, Michelle Dupuis wrote:

> Could you explain this one a bit more...
>
> You run openSER on the same box as asterisk, and have multiple such
> boxes, with the purpose of failover?  But if a box goes down with
> openser on it, then there is no forwarding.  (And most phones can only
> reg with peer). If you move openSER to another independent box, then you
> have a single point of failure.
>
> I suspect I'm not understanding something correctly....

This is for a system advertised with those "cheesy" late night cable TV
ads -- "hot" girl enticing you to call for a "free" chat and talk with all
your "friends..."

The hosts are located in a rural telco. The telco switch (Taqua 7000 as I
remember) can hand off the call to a couple of IP addresses. Each of these
addresses is on a separate host with OpenSER (it's been a few years)
listening to 5060. Each of these hosts is also running Asterisk (1.2)
listening on port 5061

There are no phones registering with any host. All calls come in through
the Taqua or IAX when I need to test something.

Each instance of OpenSER is configured (dispatcher.list) to distribute (no
active load balancing) calls to all of the instances of Asterisk,
including the instance running on the same host.

If I want to take an instance of Asterisk down for maintenance, I just
comment out the address associated with that instance out of
dispatcher.list, restart the instances of OpenSER and wait for the
in-progress calls to time out.

If a host crashes, the Taqua detects that and doesn't send calls to that
instance of OpenSER anymore. Each remaining instance of OpenSER will send
calls to the remaining instances of Asterisk.

--
Thanks in advance,