[asterisk-users] MeetMe() and dahdi_dummy on an embedded system

Vinícius Fontes vinicius at canall.com.br
Thu Feb 25 14:22:58 CST 2010

----- "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+asterisk at drogon.net> escreveu:

> On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Vinícius Fontes wrote:
>
> > ----- "Shaun Ruffell" <sruffell at digium.com> escreveu:

> >> (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix2d2.htm). It's a fanless, x86 system
> >> using an AMD Geode processor with 256MB of RAM. Also available are
> two
> >> network interfaces, two USB ports and one serial port (no keyboard
> or
> >> VGA). I'm using the Voyage Linux distro, which basically is Debian
> >> Lenny optimized for this board.

> having
> >> is with MeetMe(). As there's no DAHDI devices attached, I'm
> running
> >> dahdi_dummy. Audio gets all choppy on MeetMe(), but works fine for
> >> other applications such as Playback(). SIP calls also work fine.

> >> with 16 FXS in order to provide timing, and after that I get
> crystal
> >> clear audio on MeetMe().

> >> the ALIX board just to provide timing. So my question is: is there
> any
> >> way to improve dahdi_dummy's performance, or maybe some other way
> >> get this to work without the need for a physical DAHDI device?
> >>
> >> What version of DAHDI are you using?  As long as the host kernel
> is
> >> able to accurately keep accurate wall time, I'm not aware of any
> >> conditions that would prevent dahdi_dummy in dahdi-linux 2.2.1
> from
> >> working fine, so I'm very curious if this isn't the case.  In fact,
> in
> >> the trunk of dahdi-linux dahdi_dummy.ko is off by default and
> dahdi.ko
> >> will be able to keep time regardless of whether there are any
> physical
> >> spans connected or configured.
> >
> > Sorry, forgot to include the DAHDI version.
> >
> > voyage:~# dahdi_cfg -tv
> > DAHDI Tools Version - 2.2.1
> >
> > DAHDI Version: 2.2.1
> > Echo Canceller(s):
> > Configuration
> > ======================
> >
> > I'm almost sure this board's RTC is not very accurate. Is there any
> way
> > to measure the RTC's accuracy?
>
> I use these boards too. Brilliant little things. 5 watts and 80+
> concurrent calls handling media before they fall over! Not much good
> for
> transcoding though...
>
>    http://unicorn.drogon.net/cutie.jpg
>
> However I have a slightly different approach in that I have my own
> semi-custom Linux for them which runs entirely in RAM. I also
> custom-compile the kernel for the architecture, and have compiled up
> dhadi
> and asterisk specifically for that CPU too. (Read my earlier whinges
> about
> it some time back!)
>
>    dsx$ df -h
>    Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
>    /dev/ram0             136M   79M   58M  58% /
>    /dev/hda3             189M   95M   95M  50% /data

> [...]

Just checked and I'm using the high res timer as well:

Feb 25 17:42:32 voyage vmunix: [   27.028798] dahdi_dummy: Trying to load High Resolution Timer
Feb 25 17:42:32 voyage vmunix: [   27.028816] dahdi_dummy: Initialized High Resolution Timer
Feb 25 17:42:32 voyage vmunix: [   27.028831] dahdi_dummy: Starting High Resolution Timer
Feb 25 17:42:32 voyage vmunix: [   27.028849] dahdi_dummy: High Resolution Timer started, good to go
Feb 25 17:42:32 voyage vmunix: [   27.055253] dahdi: Registered tone zone 20 (Brazil)

I also compiled DAHDI and Asterisk from the sources. Took about 2 hours but it finally compiled and is running okay. :) Still not sure what's happening, since even with 2 users on the meetme room I still get the choppy audio. My best guess would be something kernel related. Thinking about recompiling the kernel, but I'm not sure what I could set to maybe solve these issues.

Would you mind sharing the kernel version number you're running on your boxes, and if I'm not asking too much, the .config file you used? Thanks a lot in advance.