[asterisk-users] Polycom VVX1500 video working yet?

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Wed Feb 17 18:14:40 CST 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 17:12:01 +0000, Steve Davies wrote:

>On 17 February 2010 16:56, asterisk <Asterisk at nbsvoice.com> wrote:
>> Can anyone tell if asterisk and Polycom VVX1500 work with video yet?
>> If so what version?   Is there a patch?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Doug
>>

>According to my experimentation, Polycom VVX1500 phones work with
>"all" versions of Asterisk as far back as 1.2.30, and possibly older.
>This is with the earliest of the Polycom firmware to support this
>device.
>
>The problem (cause not known) is that Polycom VVX1500 phones only talk
>to other Polycom VVX1500 phones, making them essentially useless.
>Perhaps Polycom have fixed this in newer firmware versions - I've not
>seen such a fix in their changelogs.

This is simply untrue. However, the VVX-1500 is fussy about the video
that it receives. It supports only CIF and SIF resolutions. Period.
Send it anything else and you'll likely crash it.

I did some simply testing using the Mirial soft phone, which allows you
to specify the resolution of the sent video stream. When set to
something suitable I had sucessful interop with the VVX. They both
support G.722.1C, too.

OTOH, when I tried interop with the LifeSize Desktop I crashed the VVX
every time a call was received. The LifeSize client sends only 720p.
Interestingly enough, the VVX received the first frame of video and
displayed some portion of it before it would spontaneously reboot.

If you use the VVX-1500 with an MCU or a hosted service like BlinkMind
then they take care of all of this by processing the video stream to be
appropriate for the VVX. BlinkMind was very helpful during the period
when I was evaluating a pair of VVX units.

Michael
--
Michael Graves
mgraves<at>mstvp.com