[asterisk-users] Still on spandsp/app_fax and T.38

Vinícius Fontes vinicius at canall.com.br
Wed Feb 17 11:50:41 CST 2010

----- "Steve Underwood" <steveu at coppice.org> escreveu:

> Hi Vinícius,
>
> Don't post big things, like wireshark traces, to a mailing list. They
>
> are likely to ban you.
>
> The first two calls in your wireshark log decode to the attached
> images.
> There were no lost packets. The wireshark logs contains exactly what
> the
> far end sent, and it was not good. The first fax page has 12 bad pixel
>
> rows. This page was accepted, as minor defects like this are normally
>
> accepted. The second fax starts out OK, then then just falls apart. I
>
> think the receive modem in that gateway probably lost sync. The data
> looks like complete rubbish beyond the part that decodes to something
>
> sensible.
>
> The system you are trying to interwork with seems to have serious
> issues. It can be difficult to get providers to sort out T.38 issues,
> as
> many of them have very little understanding of the systems they have.
>
> Even big carriers can be very unresponsive, because they just don't
> know
> what to do.
>
> Regards,
> Steve

So there's no packet loss, but the provider is sending me rubbish, if I understand correctly. I'll try to explain that to them, at least there are people with brains and willing to listen on that company.

About the other issues we talked about, is app_fax having the same behaviour as FFA, as expected now?

Also (if I'm not asking too much), could you tell me how you decoded the packet stream into a tif file? That would be really useful on showing the problem to the telco guys.