[asterisk-users] Handling Segmentation Faults / Crashes

Robert Grignon rgrignon at fleetone.com
Tue Feb 16 14:51:40 CST 2010

Just curious to know how most of you deal with segmentation faults /
core dumps....

These are a few of the things I have seen in regards to people dealing
with random crashes:

1. Apply Base OS updates
2. Recompile with DEBUG_THREADS and DON'T_OPTIMIZE turned on and look
for the cause of the seg fault in GDB next time it happens
3. Upgrade to a late version of asterisk

I have been running version 1.4.26 for a while and it has been
relatively stable except for the random segfaults (once every few
weeks). No errors or anything obvious in the logs, Server vitals are
fine, etc... I am contemplating upgrading but I hate to knee jerk
because sometimes you can introduce new problems with upgrading...

My front-end servers are pretty busy throughout the day and usually have
about 40 concurrent calls (80 channels) going at a time...

Just looking for some "best practices" in regards to this.

Thanks,

Robert