[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.8 and Realtime

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at meg.abyt.es
Fri Dec 24 00:46:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday 23 December 2010 17:55:40 Carlos Chavez wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-12-24 at 07:52 +1300, CB wrote:
> > Could anyone recommend some documentation regarding Asterisk 1.8 and
> > the realtime architecture? Specifically I want to know if it is
> > possible to set a priority label or to use n as a priority for
> > realtime extensions in Asterisk 1.8? My understanding is that is not
> > possible with Asterisk 1.4 and I wonder if it's changed?
>
> 	Realtime extensions for Asterisk is horrible.  You need to use
> extensions.conf and use the switch statement (between other inconvenient
> things).  I really recommend against using that part of the Realtime
> engine.

Actually, you can use the 'overrideswitch' statement, and the named switch
will be consulted first for all extension contexts.

> 	The solution to this would be to use Realtime static which with a
> little patience lets you use the dialplan without many modifications and
> with all the helpers like n and same.  This is what we use at the moment
> for our configuration interface.

Also, you should use an interface such as func_odbc to abstract your data
away from your logic.  Store the logic in the dialplan, but store the
dynamic information in the database.

--
Tilghman