[asterisk-users] Specifying DID for outbound calls

Jonathan Thurman jonathan at thurmantech.com
Sun Dec 19 03:21:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:03 PM, Stephen Reese <rsreese at gmail.com> wrote:

> The host I am working with has two accounts from the same DID
> provider. Incoming calls work correctly and dial the appropriate
> extensions. This also allows incoming calls to be billed appropriately to
> the
> individual DID accounts.
>
> Outgoing calls from either extension default to the first DID, i.e.
> calls from either extension have the same callerID. How can an
> extension specify separate outgoing contexts so the correct number is
> associated with it, also allowing the SIP provider to recognize the
> difference for billing purposes, or is there a better way?

The outgoing caller-id is probably just the extension number, so the
provider is setting it to a default (usually the main billing number).  You
can set what Asterisk sends as the outbound Caller-ID in the outbound
context before the Dial statement.  Make sure your provider will honor what
you set, as many filter what you can send to only the DIDs they provide for
you.

Take a look here for more information on setting the caller-id in the
dialplan:

http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+func+callerid

-Jonathan