[asterisk-users] Asterisk and Alcatel digital phone's

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Sat Dec 18 12:48:57 UTC 2010

Sander Naudts wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry if this is already asked somewhere on the list but I
> couldn't find it.
> We have an old PBX system controlled by our Telecom provider. There
> are analog phones but also digital alcatel phone's connected to it.
> These are not ip based but legacy digital phone's.
> Is there a way how we can connect them to our own Asterisk PBX? The
> old PBX is going to be removed, so it has to be a solution: Digital
> alacatel phone -> directly connected to Asterisk.

Short answer NO!
What you are calling "legacy digital phones" are not universal, and for
many years have been integrated with the host system. This is generally
true for business systems from 2 lines and six stations to large systems
with hundreds of phones.

> Is there some hardware gateway or something we can use?

The only "gateway"will be your existing switch or another of the same
generation.
When the switch is removed, why would the phones not be?

the analog phones, if they are not special, but POTS phones that could
be used anywhere on a loop start line in a business or home could be
reused, but you may find that you will not want to.

> We looked at the Grandstream GXW4024 gateway for our analog phones but
> I'm not sure the digital one's can connect to that one as well.

No they cannot.
Better plan on replacing all the Alcatel phones with IP ones.

John Novack

> Kind regards,
>
> Sander Naudts
>

> --