[asterisk-users] Call sip:user at domain.com?

Gilles codecomplete at free.fr
Fri Dec 17 15:52:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 09:00:39 -0500, Leif Madsen
<leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org> wrote:
>You have to tell it the host to request the extension from. All you're doing is
>dialing SIP/*031600, which with that format, is going to try and call [*031600]
>as defined in sip.conf.
>
>You're missing the host that you want to call. The format needs to be
>SIP/*031600@<some_hostname>

Thanks for the tip. Elsewhere, someone suggested adding this code in
extensions.conf, which solved the problem:

===============
[macro-dialsipuri]
exten => s,1,Set(dialuri=${CUT(ARG1,\;,1)})
exten => s,n,Verbose(Calling SIP URI ${dailuri})
exten => s,n,Verbose(--- From: ${CALLERID(all)})
exten => s,n,Dial(SIP/${dialuri},60,tr)
exten => s,n,Congestion()

[internal]
exten => _[a-z].,1,Macro(dialsipuri,${EXTEN}@${SIPDOMAIN})
exten => _[A-Z].,1,Macro(dialsipuri,${EXTEN}@${SIPDOMAIN})
===============

>What you're trying to do is essentially what FreeNum was designed for:
>
>http://www.freenum.org

I'll read up on Freenum, but I was just trying to do something that I
thought was very simple, namely make a phone call over the Net, ie.
have XLite send an INVITE to Asterisk, which would then forward the
INVITE to the remote server, which would ring the phone. I expected
Asterisk users to make direct calls routinely, but maybe it's not that
frequent.

>We discuss it in this chapter here:
>http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9780596517342/ch12.html

Thanks Leif. I was going through the 2nd edition, which doesn't seem
to deal with direct, Internet dialing. I'll go through that Chapter 12
in the 3rd edition.

Thank you.