[asterisk-users] Call sip:user at domain.com?

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at asteriskdocs.org
Fri Dec 17 14:00:39 UTC 2010

On 10-12-17 06:48 AM, Gilles wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 10:16:00 +0100, Administrator TOOTAI
> <admin at tootai.net>  wrote:
>> Then create a prefix for SIP calls
>>
>> exten=>_9.,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN:1})
>>
>> and you dial 9user at domain.com from XLite
>>
>> Remember that calling sip URL is not as easy with a phone. Imagine you have an ATA with DECT or POTS
>> phone connected on it: how to send alpha characters or @ ?
>
> Thanks Daniel. I added that line above, told Asterisk to reload the
> dialplan, and typed the following in XLite:
>
> 9*031600 at ekiga.net
>
> This is to perform an echo test
> http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Fun_Numbers

You have to tell it the host to request the extension from. All you're doing is
dialing SIP/*031600, which with that format, is going to try and call [*031600]
as defined in sip.conf.

You're missing the host that you want to call. The format needs to be
SIP/*031600@<some_hostname>

What you're trying to do is essentially what FreeNum was designed for:

http://www.freenum.org

We discuss it in this chapter here:
http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9780596517342/ch12.html

Leif.