[asterisk-users] Two asterisk servers, two different service providers

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Thu Dec 16 14:52:59 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Eddie Mikell
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:39 AM
To: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Subject: [asterisk-users] Two asterisk servers,two different service
providers

All:

I am looking to install another asterisk server in an office located in
a different part of the country.

I think I can configure the sip and extension conf files, so that the
internal phones at the two locations can call each other.

My question is this, how do I properly configure the sip file for a
different provider at the new location?  Can I use a different register
statement for the provider at the new location?

Can someone point me to some sample conf files that do this?

Thanks for all help, AND non smart aleck RTFM answers.

Eddie

For question 1 - the provider should give you the credentials you need for
sip.conf (mine did).
For question 2 - you can have as many register statements as you want.
These are two different Asterisk installs and two different SIP
lines/trunks.

What you're doing is reasonably simple.  You have office A that uses a SIP
trunk and SIP lines and office B that uses a different SIP trunk and SIP
lines.  How I would do it is like this:
Office A uses extensions 1000-1999
Office B uses extensions 2000-2999

The inherent problem you would have is that you can't pass information in
the dial string.  The work-around would be to use a small IVR in each office
to do an automated redial.  So if I'm in office A and I want to call
somebody from Office B, I dial 2001, get a response to reenter the number
and dial 2001 again and am connected.  The "cleaner" solution would be to
have an IAX connection between the two offices.

Extensions.conf for office A
Exten => 1XXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},20,MKkTt)
Exten => _1.,1,Dial(SIP/+${EXTEN}@provider,30,MKkTt)
Exten => 2XXX,1,Dial(SIP/5551212 at provider,30,MKkTt) 5551212 is office B's
number
Exten => s/5551313,1,Goto(callfromb,s,1)
[callfromb]
Exten => s,1,read(xext,enter_extension,4,skip,1,10)
Exten => s,n,Dial(SIP,${xext},20,MKkTt)

Extensions.conf for office B
Exten => 2XXX,1,Dial(SIP/${EXTEN},20,MKkTt)
Exten => _1.,1,Dial(SIP/+${EXTEN}@provider,30,MKkTt)
Exten => 1XXX,1,Dial(SIP/5551313 at provider,30,MKkTt) 5551313 is office A's
number
Exten => s/5551212,1,Goto(callfroma,s,1)
[callfroma]