[asterisk-users] Mail Integration

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Tue Dec 14 08:32:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 03:59:49PM +0100, adamk at 3a.hu wrote:

> Postal mail... heh... nice :)
>
> On 12-13-2010 15:49, Thomas Perron wrote:
> > How do I set up an Exchange or other Mail MX server to interoperate
> > with VoiceMail?
> >

> Not sure if this is an asterisk issue at all.  After setting the trivial
> options in voicemail.conf, it's really just SMTP and relaying from there.
>
> I think this pretty much explains the whole thing:
>
> ; You can override the default program to send e-mail if you wish, too
> ;
> ;mailcmd=/usr/sbin/sendmail -t

Note: normally there's no need to change that. Decent mailers such as
postfix tend to provide /usr/sbin/sendmail of their own. Anyway, just
use postfix (or sendmail, or exim, if that's the default of your
distro).

It does not actually have to listen on port 25. It only needs to relay
all the mail to a separate mail server. In postfix that is normally done
by adding the following in main.cf:

  relayhost = [mx-host]

where 'mx-host' is the host name or IP address of the exchange server.

However, if you want to have Asterisk use a mailbox on the exchange
server (and allow it to manipulate them), use the link given before for
imap integration. It is a more complex setup, though.

> [...]
>
> ; Each mailbox is listed in the form
> ; if the e-mail is specified, a message will be sent when a message is
> ; received, to the given mailbox.
>

> Do you have a specific problem (MTA error message, something being
> denied etc) or is this a general question about voicemail.conf?

And specifically: are you able to send a mail from the command-line?

  echo "Testing, 123" | mail -s "subject of test message" EMAIL

where EMAIL stands for one of the email addresses you used in
voicemail.conf .

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com