[asterisk-users] Configuring server to call SIP numbers on the Net?

Roger Burton West roger at firedrake.org
Mon Dec 13 18:51:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 07:28:58PM +0100, Gilles wrote:
>This is a newbie question : With a simple Asterisk server on a private
>LAN, an FXO port to handle the PSTN, and an ADSL connection to the
>Net, ie. with no VOSP in the mix... how should I configure Asterisk so
>that SIP clients can dial SIP numbers on the Net, such as those below
>to perform an echo test?

If you want to dial a SIP number that's not on your local server, you
need to route it via dialplan logic. You could do this with a prefix
code if you want to be able to dial lots of numbers at the same server:

exten => _9NX.,1,Dial(SIP/user:pass at ekiga.net/${EXTEN:1})

or something more specific if you just want to connect to one:

exten => 602,1,Dial(SIP/user:pass at ekiga.net/*010600)

(Don't quote me on syntax; I don't have any SIP examples handy as I only
use it for local-network calls.)