[asterisk-users] Atcom IP-4B ISDN IP PBX?

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Sun Dec 12 22:42:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 21:35 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010, Hans Witvliet wrote:
>
> > But as BRI / (aso known as ISDN2) is more a thing of the past, i mean
> > pre-adsl, for the general public, the number of people with bri and
> > hence their potential market is (too) small, i fear.
>
> It's not a thing of the past in Europe - well, the UK and Germany and
> maybe France... ISDN2e is still the standard for small/medium business
> connectivity over here (UK).
>
> Probably mostly because there are still PBX installation monkeys selling
> it in preference to VoIP because they don't know how to make VoIP work.
>
> Much as I'd like to, I do not see ISDN2e going away in the UK in the next
> 10 years.

Well, the fact that it is (still) popular in the UK, is merely that the
salespeople BT used some more of their braincels than the
telco-providers in NL.

(I used to work at a manufacturer of telco equipment, so i knew about
pricing)
Basic handsets were way overpriced (40 times more expensive than regular
headsets) hence avoiding general interest.

And if you wanted more than 2B channels, your were forced with a full E1
line, with subscription fee for each B-channel. No thing like fractional
E1.

Before the days of cable or dsl, it was the only way of getting a
slightlier higher bandwith than with the V56-modems, but we had
seriously the feeling that KPN was doing their best to frustrate/avoid
general acceptance.

hw