[asterisk-users] debug audio or channel

Robles Román, José Miguel jmrroman at indra.es
Wed Dec 8 08:17:04 UTC 2010

> Enviado el: miércoles, 08 de diciembre de 2010 1:35
>
> On Tue, 7 Dec 2010, Thomas Perron wrote:
>
> > A calls B.
> > B rings
> > Says connected.
> > But the call is not bridged and therefor no audio passes.
> > very simple dial plan.
>
> > Does anyone have any short answers on how I can fix this problem:
>
> 0) Don't use clouds.
>
> 1) Start poking about with wireshark and see if audio is flowing.
>
> If the call is connecting, it sounds like 5060 is being
> passed OK. If audio is not being passed, it sounds like...
> Well, it doesn't sound like anything, so the problem may be a
> router or firewall issue.

As I suggested yesterday, and in accordance with Steve's answer, you should check if your A and B phones are behind a NAT and, if they are, review the configuration of your router / firewall. Although it is not clear from your e-mail which is the complete picture of your system, let's suppose that your phones A and B are in your LAN, connected through a router to Internet, and that they both are registered against an Asterisk PBX deployed on a server hired in the net with possibly a fixed IP and no NAT, neither special firewall rules that could avoid any type of traffic.

If it is the case, you can see http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/NAT+and+VOIP for information about the issue. There you can read:

At first, for both the calling and the called party everything will appear just fine. The called party will see the calling party's Caller ID and the telephone will ring while the calling party will hear a ringing feedback tone at the other end. When the called party picks up the telephone, both the ringing and the associated ringing feedback tone at the other end will stop as one would expect. However, the calling party will not hear the called party (one way audio) and the called party may not hear the calling party either (no audio).

In the same place, you can find some avoidances and workarounds for the problem.

Regards,
José Miguel

Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo, contiene información de carácter confidencial exclusivamente dirigida a su destinatario o destinatarios. Si no es vd. el destinatario indicado, queda notificado que la lectura, utilización, divulgación y/o copia sin autorización está prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. En el caso de haber recibido este correo electrónico por error, se ruega notificar inmediatamente esta circunstancia mediante reenvío a la dirección electrónica del remitente.
Evite imprimir este mensaje si no es estrictamente necesario.

This email and any file attached to it (when applicable) contain(s) confidential information that is exclusively addressed to its recipient(s). If you are not the indicated recipient, you are informed that reading, using, disseminating and/or copying it without authorisation is forbidden in accordance with the legislation in effect. If you have received this email by mistake, please immediately notify the sender of the situation by resending it to their email address.
Avoid printing this message if it is not absolutely necessary.