[asterisk-users] + on Caller-ID

Sherwood McGowan sherwood.mcgowan at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 10:30:31 CST 2010

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 9:18 AM, C F <shmaltz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I believe there has been some talk on this list about this in the
> past. The providers do NOT send 1 on the PSTN only to the customer.
> Meaning they add it when they THINK its the final destination. You can
> try this by forwarding your number with that provider to another phone
> that the provider doesn't send the 1 and you will see the 1 is not
> there.

Exactly. Additionally, the fact that you see a + in your CallerID is
often because your mobile phone automatically fills it in, as well as
the 1 (when the call is US).

Don't worry about "standard", because a series of various google
searches confirmed that while there is a standard defined for HOW
callerid is sent (for the various mediums and countries), there is
definitely NOT one for number presentation.

The proper way to send callerid number is 10 digit (from NANPA
numbers), no preceding 1 or + as this is handled by the provider to
the END USER if at all