[asterisk-users] Early media and IAX2

Russ Dill russ.dill at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 17:18:41 CDT 2010

My IAX2 trunk provider, Teliax, seems to be forcing early media. Early
media is cool and all, but my Asterisk install doesn't seem to be
fully supporting it. My initial setting was using Dial() to call all
of my dahdi (TDM400P) extensions. The results were that incoming calls
would not hear any ringing tones and the call would be ended by Teliax
after 21 seconds.

Looking at the packet dumps, my asterisk box is sending an ACCEPT and
a RINGING packet to Teliax. I tried:

Progress();
Dial(<exten>);

Progress();
Ringing();
Dial(<exten>);

Ringing();
Dial(<exten>);

Dial(<exten>,,r);

Progress();
Dial(<exten>,,r);

All with the same result. After some experimenting, I found that:

Playback(tt-weasels,noanswer);

Would playback tt-weasels to the caller in early media. Furthermore:

Dial(<exten>,,m);

Plays back moh to the caller and also allows the ringing portion of
the call to pass the 21 second mark. If I had a ringing moh mp3, it
would be everything I wanted. However, it seems like the wrong
solution. Not only should Dial(<exten>,,r); work, but it seems like
Dial(<exten>); should know to send the ringing tones.

My asterisk version is 1:1.6.2.9-1 on debian/sid.