[asterisk-users] IXJ Quicknet PhoneJack issues

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Fri Aug 13 15:32:02 CDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 03:13:53PM -0500, Infra wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> We have been running a CVS HEAD version of asterisk from Mar 10, 2005
> on ix86 (PIII-600) Linux 2.4.27

Wow!

> with ixj (chan_phone) hardware.  In a
> hope of getting better 'chan_skinny' support (to attempt using a Cisco
> 7920 IP phone) I built asterisk 1.2.40 on this box.

Why not start from something a bit more up-to-date (feature-wise)? 1.6.2
would be a good start.

> Initial tests
> verify that our previous dialplan is working (iax2 trunks, register
> sip phones, registering withour SER box, etc. all work but there is no
> dialtone on the ixj fxs port.
>
> Here is what I tried:
>
> (in each case asterisk invoked with '-vvv -C name_of_config_file)
>
> 1. temporary fresh install of 1.2.40 using sample configs; in dialplan
>    (uncommented extension ext. 1265); in 'phone.conf' uncommented
>    the following:
>
>     [interfaces]
>     mode=dialtone
>     format=slinear
>     echocancel=medium
>     context=local
>     txgain=100%
>     rxgain=1.0
>     device => /dev/phone0
>
>     -- dialplan works, ext. 1265 rings, has two-way audio, call progress
>     tones heard, sends dtmf, can dial out, but has no dialtone.
>
> 2. temporary 'update' (bininstall) install of 1.2.40 overlaying existing
>    CVS HEAD installation:
>
>    -- existing dialplan works, Phone/phone0 works as in (1) above except
>    for no dialtone.
>
> 3. temporary 'udpate' (bininstall) install of 1.2.40 as in (2) above but
>    without new 1.2.40 version of chan_phone.so (instead using our old
>    version of chan_phone.so):
>
>    -- existing dialplan works, Phone/phone0 works except for no dialtone.
>
> 4. test of new chan_phone.so from 1.2.40 replacing the one in our existing
>    working installation:
>
>    -- asterisk fails to start:
>     Aug 13 14:21:05 WARNING[2625]:
> /usr/lib/asterisk/modules/chan_phone.so: undefined
>     symbol: ast_register_file_version

chan_phone.so was not built with Asterisk 1.2.40 ?

> In all of the above cases where asterisk starts and runs, there are no
> error messages involving 'chan_phone', nor any error messages at all
> during placement of calls or answering of calls on Phone/phone0.
>
> It seems reasonable to suggest that changes in chan_phone.c are _not_
> responsible for the lack of dialtone.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. can someone confirm what releases are known to work with chan_phone.so
>    (in dialtone mode)?
>
> 2. can someone confirm if there is a release that works with chan_phone.so
>    in dialtone mode that also has a working skinny implementation that
>    will work with the Cisco 7920 IP phone?
>
> 3. in the absence of any known working configurations, would anyone be
>    willing to kibitz about backporting more recent skinny support into our
>    CVS HEAD working version of asterisk?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Michael
>
> N.B.  The list archives have a few unanswered posts from other users with
> no dialtone on ixj hardware over the years; I understand that it is
> probably of little interest to Digium to support this hardware, but 1.2
> was advertised to do so.

I suspect chan_phone does not have many users (to say the least). But if
it does not work as before, it's a regression, that should be fixed.
Please repoert it.

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755              jabber:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com