[asterisk-users] install asterisk

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Fri Aug 13 08:30:09 CDT 2010

Albert Bonomo wrote:
> Hi.
> I've been working with Asterisk for a few month now with great results.
> I'm very happy with this product. I hope I can be of help in the
> future of this project.
> Right now I'm having some problems installing it in a new server.
>
> I wont bore you with details because finally the solution to my
> problem was
> clean and elegant and it came from a guy in a Linux mailing list.
>
> Here is my question.
> My first install experience was quit a headache. I downloaded the
> sources from Digium,
> make them and after that make install them. Before that, I had to
> install all the dependencies
> bison, ncurses, zlib,gcc...and all there devels packages.
> After that, libpri, dahdi and finally Asterisk.
> I did it the first time for a server with Fedora 12. Took a while but
> it is running now.
> Then I decided to install in a new server. My project is geting bigger
> so, why not ?
> This time, the server was up with Fedora 13. No problem.
> Well not so fast. Yes problem !!! I can not install it !!!
> But my new friend from Linux.org mailing list suggested: yum install
> Asterisk
> and voila !!!! There you have it, Sr. A new Asterisk up and running in
> 5 seconds.
>
> How come nowhere in the internet, nor in Digium.com docs, blogs, or
> whatever,
> anybody mention that yum install is available ? Why nobody ever make a
> small
> note telling that asterisk is available from repositories to install,
> and that is so easy ?
>
> Can anybody explain that to me ?
> Thanks
> Alberto.

The short answer from someone who sees Linux as a means to an end (
running Asterisk ) is the rpm install forces one to accept Asterisk as
built for the rpm, whereas installing from source gives a much more
flexible install regarding any options.

Also, I would suggest next time use CentOS 5, rather than Fedora. Linux
distros are always somewhat of a religious argument, but many fewer
problems seem to be reported that with Fedora.
and then there is the Debian camp!

John Novack

--

Dog is my Co-pilot