[asterisk-users] install asterisk

Albert Bonomo apeto2104 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 08:08:37 CDT 2010

Hi.
I've been working with Asterisk for a few month now with great results.
I'm very happy with this product. I hope I can be of help in the future of
this project.
Right now I'm having some problems installing it in a new server.

I wont bore you with details because finally the solution to my problem was
clean and elegant and it came from a guy in a Linux mailing list.

Here is my question.
My first install experience was quit a headache. I downloaded the sources
from Digium,
make them and after that make install them. Before that, I had to install
all the dependencies
bison, ncurses, zlib,gcc...and all there devels packages.
After that, libpri, dahdi and finally Asterisk.
I did it the first time for a server with Fedora 12. Took a while but it is
running now.
Then I decided to install in a new server. My project is geting bigger so,
why not ?
This time, the server was up with Fedora 13. No problem.
Well not so fast. Yes problem !!! I can not install it !!!
But my new friend from Linux.org mailing list suggested: yum install
Asterisk
and voila !!!! There you have it, Sr. A new Asterisk up and running in 5
seconds.

How come nowhere in the internet, nor in Digium.com docs, blogs, or
whatever,
anybody mention that yum install is available ? Why nobody ever make a small
note telling that asterisk is available from repositories to install, and
that is so easy ?

Can anybody explain that to me ?
Thanks
Alberto.

--
@apetob at Tweeter

Those who understand binary and those who don't