[asterisk-users] Correct Caller-ID

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Wed Aug 11 00:35:09 CDT 2010

C F wrote:
> The correct way in the US is to send NPANXXXXXX without the 1, in fact
> AT&T used to display unknown if 11 digit was received.

Agreed.
> Vonage decided to add the 1 so that their fancy stupid boxes can dial
> back directly from the box. Sorry for the rant but it has created me
> more headaches that I care to remember.

Not universally so. As I posted earlier, my Vonage account sends me 10
digits. I now wonder if that varies depending on the ATA? Mine is he
VT1005, and clearly always sends 10 digits without the "1"
> Cell phone providers do not add the one, it's the phone that does.
> Forward your cell phone number to a landline and you'll see that the 1
> is gone.

I have a T-mobile at home service that always sends the "1". In this case
it is a special version of a Linksys router/ATA combo, with sockets for
SIM cards. T-mobile at home is, or was, available only to T-mobile
customers, and reportedly no longer offered.
It is billed with mobile phone service, but I was cautioned not to move
the SIM card to a mobile phone as there would be billing issues.
Both providers accept either 10 or 11 digits for outbound dialing.

It WOULD be nice if there was some standard.  In the US even dialing
plans aren't universal, as state PSC's dictate both dialing schemes and
NPA expansion, though it seems most now have settled on overlays.

John Novack

> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 6:45 PM, John Novack
> <jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org>  wrote:

>>> The correct answer to this depends on where you are.
>>>
>>> IMO the answer would be #2, but #3 would probably be acceptable – Google
>>> wasn’t helpful on this one.
>>>

>> OK... the reason I asked is because I've seen Vonage send the 1, and a
>> cellular carrier I have sends the 1, but it seems that most phones are
>> designed to not know what to do with that (e.g. they only ask for the local
>> area code NPA), thus when I call comes through with the 1, the phone has no
>> clue what to do with it.
>>
>> Also in the US.
>>
>> My Vonage account does NOT send the "1"  My T-mobile at home account DOES send
>> the "1" Neither REQUIRE the "1" to be dialed!!
>>
>> IMO the "+" is not correct when sending CLID. It is correctly used in print
>> when referencing international numbers.
>>
>> Why would you expect anyone to follow a standard?
>>
>> John Novack
>>
>> --
>>
>> Dog is my Co-pilot
>>
>> --