[asterisk-users] Connecting two calls with Originate

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Mon Aug 9 12:15:29 CDT 2010

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Kathryn Jones
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [asterisk-users] Connecting two calls with Originate

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Danny Nicholas <danny at debsinc.com> wrote:

>>From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Kathryn Jones
>>Subject: [asterisk-users] Connecting two calls with Originate

>>Hello list!!

>>I want to connect an open call with an extension. I call in with a DID,
them redirect to the extension using AGI. Can I use agi's originate to make
the second call >>without dropping the first DID call? How would I go about
this?

<snip>

>>I am not having much luck, am I going about this the wrong way? Thanks in
advance for your replies.

->Assuming that you're not trying to dial back out on the same line, this
should not be problematic.  The AGI originate is not necessarily aware that
it is working in tandem with an existing call.  The "Channelopendidcall" is
the "wrong way" part of this equation.  For example, if the call comes in on
DAHDI/1-1, you can't use DAHDI/1-1

to open a second call whilst it is active;  you can make a call on DAHDI/1-2
and join the 2 together.

>Wow, that was fast. Thanks for your reply!!!
>So if I were to do:

>Action: login
>Username: xxxx
>Secret: xxxx
>Events: off

>Action: Originate
>Channel: SIP/trunk
>Context: context-for-second-call
>Exten: secondCall
>Callerid: CallerID
>Timeout: 30

>I could connect the 2 calls?

As best as I know, yes this should work. You are actually creating a "new
leg" with the originate, but the net effect is a joined call.