[asterisk-users] Garbled messages - format_wav_gsm.c:414 wav_read:Short read (60) (No such file or directory)!

Danny Nicholas danny at debsinc.com
Tue Aug 3 12:11:12 CDT 2010

From: asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-bounces at lists.digium.com] On Behalf Of Bobby Larson
Subject: [asterisk-users] Garbled messages - format_wav_gsm.c:414
wav_read:Short read (60) (No such file or directory)!

The problem is that voice mail message get played back garbled.
Occasionally, I can make out moments of a voice or another sound that may be
in the actual message, though it's far too diluted with garbling and chirps
to detect any words or phrases.  When running asterisk -r, I will get a
message on the console after the system completes playback of the file:

format_wav_gsm.c:414 wav_read: Short read (60) (No such file or directory)!

I am running under a linux virtual server, and here is the output of "core
show version":

Asterisk SVN-trunk-r161350 built by root @ ast01 on a x86_64 running Linux
on 2008-12-05 17:31:32 UTC

Though this problem is an old one, it has gradually gotten much worse over
time.  Originally, I just thought it was the result of excessive network
traffic, but I'm starting to really think otherwise.

My current workaround is to manually copy over the wav files to a local
computer for listening.  This says to me that recording is working fine,
it's the playback that has problems.

In your /etc/asterisk/voicemail.conf (or equivalent), I assume you have this
line:

Format = wav

Or

Format = wav|gsm|wav49

The wav49 (.WAV) format is "friendlier" (in this poster's opinion) for
playback.