[asterisk-users] Problems with t38modem and bitrate sent to t38-termination service

Miguel Amez villalvilla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 04:28:54 CDT 2010

Hi all the people in the list!

I'm new on this list, this is my first post.
I configured asterisk 1.6 with freepbx 2.7 and dahdi to send faxes with
t38modem conected to hylafax as a sip extension of asterisk.
Everything is supposed to be configured fine, the faxes start sending, but
at the middle of the transaction, it fails. The T.38 termination provider
told me that they were receiving a=T38MaxBitRate:2400 on their asterisk, and
told me that this issue could be the problem.
I've checked all the configuration and can't see any kind of configuration
for the bitrate of the t38modem.
I don't know if this is an Asterisk issue or a t38modem issue.
My configurations are:

/etc/asterisk/udptl.conf:

[general]
 udptlstart=4000
 udptlend=4999
 udptlchecksums=no
 T38FaxUdpEC = t38UDPRedundancy
 T38FaxMaxDatagram = 400
 udptlfecentries = 3
 udptlfecspan = 3
use_even_ports=no

/etc/asterisk/sip_custom.conf:
[t38modem-options](!)
type = friend
host = 127.0.0.1
context = fax-out
canreinvite = no
disallow = all
allow = ulaw
t38pt_udptl = yes
t38pt_rtp=no
t38pt_tcp=no
dtmfmode = rfc2833
nat = no
qualify = yes

[T38modem0](t38modem-options)
port = 6060

[T38modem1](t38modem-options)
port = 6061

[T38modem2](t38modem-options)
port = 6062

[T38modem3](t38modem-options)
port = 6063

[T38modem4](t38modem-options)
port = 6064

/etc/asterisk/extensions_custom.conf:
[fax-out]
exten => _XXXXXXXXXXX,1,Dial(SIP/991321604${EXTEN}@t38faxing,,R)
exten => _X.,n,Hangup()

/etc/asterisk/sip_additional.conf:
[t38faxing]
disallow=all
allow=ulaw
canreinvite=yes
host=xx.xx.xx.xx
outboundproxy=xx.xx.xx.xx
fromdomain=9913216.paygvoip.com
insecure=port,invite
type=peer
dtmfmode=rfc2833
username=userid
password=mypassword
fromuser=userid
nat=yes
context=from-trunk-sip-t38faxing

I'm getting crazy with this, I don't know where the problem could be. Any
kind of help would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot for your time and Implication on this list.

Regards,
Miguel Amez