[asterisk-users] Call-Waiting, implementation ideas

Harel Cohen harel at easycall.gi
Fri Apr 30 03:57:08 CDT 2010

Hi all,
How can I implement a full-featured Call-Waiting behavior on the Asterisk level (e.g. I don't want to relay on end-equipment capabilities)?
I found it very strange that such a basic feature is not built-in in Asterisk (and I've googled a lot in search for this).

Here is what I need:
SomeuserX is calling MyUserA. They are on conversation (assumption: voice is via the Asterisk)
SomeuserY is calling MyUserA.
SomeuserY gets a special ringing tone. Meaning -> Asterisk opens voice channel towards SomeuserY (progress with SDP) and plays SpecialRingBack.wav/gsm etc.
MyUserA Gets voice notification (e.g. beep-beep) during his call to SomeuserX. Meaning -> Asterisk barge-in the rtp stream and play the file beepbeep.wav/gsm on the MyUserA channel. This is done periodically for as long as SomeuserY is waiting to be answered (i.e. doesn't hang-up).
Asterisk is monitoring the state of the call SomeuserX <-> MyUserA.
If MyUserA will signal (e.g. hook-flash or some digit sequence) that he wants to answer the 2nd call then Asterisk will put on hold SomeuserX and bridge SomeuserY to MyUserA with the option for MyUserA to toggle between the two channels.
If the conversation SomeuserX with MyUserA is terminated Asterisk will INVITE MyUserA and when picked up will bridge SomeuserY with MyUserA.
I hope there is a solution for that…
I tried using DEVICE_STATE for this purpose however I keep getting status NOT_INUSE even if the extension IS in use (I'll open a different thread on this issue if needed).
Thanks in advance for any ideas provided,
Harel