[asterisk-users] ATA shootout: PAP2T versus Grandstream Handytone 286

Vieri rentorbuy at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 30 03:41:31 CDT 2010

--- On Fri, 4/30/10, Raimund Sacherer <rs at runsolutions.com> wrote:

> Hi, I had to choose between an 8 port
> FXS device from Cisco/Linksys (the sipura 3000) and a
> similar device from Grandstream. A look on the Grandstream's
> forums had me scratching my had, so much people with
> problems, frequently needed restarts, etc.
>
> The next thing, the Cisco/Linksys seems to be manufactured
> (at least this device) with durability in mind, it includes
> a Fan and a sturdy aluminium case, wheres the Grandstream
> was plastic and as far as I recall had no cooling.

I have quite a few Grandstream GXW4008 devices and I must say that early firmware versions were a disaster. However, it's been at least a year now that I'm running these devices with no major problem with their latest firmware. I'm not biased and must say that they're stable now. I also have a Linksys SPA8000 (8-port ATA equivalent) with internal fan, etc., but despite its stability I've had a few non-critical issues with transfers and "early dials". I must say however that "support" is a tad better in Grandstream than Linksys.

As far as having an internal fan for cooling, I don't know if that's actually "better"... In general, these devices shouldn't need to rely on mechanical cooling which tends to fail in time (sure, you can open the case and replace it but that's extra maintenance).

Vieri