[asterisk-users] E3 Card on Asterisk ?

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Apr 27 10:14:23 CDT 2010

----- "Anita Hall" <anita.hall at simmortel.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Please check out this product
>
> http://www.sangoma.com/products/hardware_products/data_networking/a301.html
>
> Does it work on Asterisk or Freeswitch ?
> Do Telcos provide an E3 connection ?
>
> One of our customers had an inquiry for terminating 6000 calls simultaneously. I want to do some homework before taking it further with him. If I use E1 lines, I will need 6000 / 30 = 200 E1 lines, which does not look feasible ?
>
> Thanks for any input you may provide.
>
> regards,
>
> Anita Hall,
> Simmortel Voice.

Putting that many calls on one system is not a good idea... you'll want to spread those calls over multiple machines with some sort of redundancy or failover.

Also, the card you reference is for clear channel data only, not voice. However, you may want to give Sangoma a call. They are top notch when it comes to custom solutions and have some of the brightest people on staff.

In my research into T3/E3 connectivity, I've found it's generally best to go with some sort of a MUX that will take your T3/E3 and break it down into individual T1/E1 circuits. If I recall, Adtran makes a few nice units for this.

--Tim