[asterisk-users] Being attacked by an Amazon EC2 ...

Stuart Sheldon stu at actusa.net
Wed Apr 21 10:23:31 CDT 2010

Randy R wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Fred Posner <fred at teamforrest.com>
> wrote:

>>> And is anyone on the list worthy of being considered a
>>> "significant SIP provider" to be honoured with the privilege of
>>> working with them?
>>>
>>> Gordon
>>>
>> None of the carriers I deal with have been contacted. Of course,
>> them only contacting "significant" providers... does that mean it's
>> ok if the attacks happen to non-significant providers or
>> end-points?
>>
>> ---fred http://qxork.com
>
> If it got to their BS/PR page/blog it means they're hearing about
> complaints on the net as well as people like you submitting. Everyone
>  please keep posting where you can and sooner or later, someone big
> will pick up the story.
>
> Funny, I'd think the most "worthy" people to comment on this issue
> are on this list. That's the feedback they should be looking for and
> working on at Amazon EC2.
>
> /r

We might me reading their PR wrong... Maybe there were large SIP
providers that were compromised due to this attack... Maybe they are
keeping that quiet at the request of those providers... It could also be
that the aliens in hiding in Colorado are behind the whole thing! ... Oh
no! I've said too much!!! LOL...

It could actually be the case that this whole issue went beyond what we
are seeing, and they are trying to protect one of their Whale customers...

Needless to say, what about the SSH brute force attacks that originate
from their network? What about the SPAM that flows like a fountain from
their net blocks?

This was nothing more then PR hype...

Stu

- --
For six long years I've been in trouble, no pleasure here on earth
I found. For in this world I'm bound to ramble, I have no friends
to help me now.
           -- The Soggy Bottom Boys - "I am a man of constant sorrow"